Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ] 

Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:40 am

I am in the market for a boom that will be able to hold an B800 and the large foldable softbox. I remember somewhere that PCB had a boom, but cannot find it anymore. Without breaking the bank, does anyone have suggestions?

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:24 pm

If you plan on using it fairly often spend the money on a good one ($300-500ish) or if its for a dedicated studio space the Bogan wall mount ones are solid and low cost.

If you ned to get a low cost free standing but decent there are 2 major types of Chinese ones available DO NOT GET THIS TYPE

I will post detailed images of the decent low cost ones I have once I get back to the studio Sunday (not great but worth the money)

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm interested in your opinion on those. I am looking for something similar (a boom), and was going to get this one from Manfrotto:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... 958&is=REG

It looks similar in design though, is there some reasoning behind why you don't like them, is the Manfrotto the same as the one in your picture?

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:27 pm

I am shopping for a boom right now also and cannot afford $300 for Bogen, Matthews, Avenger. Really interested in ebay options.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:07 pm

The one I originally posted works by sandwiching 4 plates together with one screw/lever, one side of plates has teeth to hold the boom at your angle and the overside has "C" shaped cut outs to hold the arm (sliding it in and out to find the ruff balance point)..... all with one lever, so first its a royal pain adjusting the angle because you have to adjust it over the teeth, its hard to move then all the sudden free falls to the next tooth with a cluck and bounce action, worse than that to get move it has to be really loose so your arm pivots in the "C" cutout and want to slide downward.

This one is the other Ebay version I see (happens to be from Amvona when they where on Ebay) I got it for around $100 with shipping but I added casters and a fairly heavy weight to the lowest center column section (probably a good idea for any sub $500 boom)

It has separate controls to slide the arm up and down along the fulcrum and also lets you twist the arm to change the angle of the light without climbing up to the strobe (first pic top screw knob) adjusting the angle is exact, no teeth to move over... just loosen the large handle tilt and re-tighten (second pic larger handle/knob). This one gets used about once or twice a week for over a year and so far no issues for what it is (a fairly safe low cost solution)

I really cant say anything about the Bogen/Manfrotto version in the B&H link other than to say it looks to much like the teeth version for me to try.

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:30 pm

The SB Image wrote:
I really cant say anything about the Bogen/Manfrotto version in the B&H link other than to say it looks to much like the teeth version for me to try.

Found a larger picture on Manfrotto's site, it is like the second one you posted, so that makes me feel better about it. I could see where the first one would be a pain to adjust.

Thanks for your insight on these.

Top Top

#

Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:22 am

Sounds great, nice to have Bogen standing behind it and be able to buy parts if/when you need them vs. my Ebay models (trash and replace).

Ray

geogecko wrote:
The SB Image wrote:

Found a larger picture on Manfrotto's site, it is like the second one you posted, so that makes me feel better about it. I could see where the first one would be a pain to adjust.

Thanks for your insight on these.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:10 pm

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, input and ideas. Ya'll have given me many things to think about. I've been using a used clamp that I bought from a motion picture equipmental rental place (it's an avenger), however I didn't get the boom arm with it. Instead I've been using a modified golfball retriever with a 580exII attached to a cold shoe and remotely fired. It works ok, but I'm looking for something that will support the wt. of the B800 and softbox. Any ideas on the boom arm specifically? I don't do much studio work, so everything gets carted around with me to different locations.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:54 am

Most of the companies, like Manfrotto, Westcott, etc., sell the boom, aside from the other parts, so if you have a decent stand, you could just get the boom by itself. It seems like most people I have read, like having the stand for their boom on wheels...

Since the boom has a counterweight, you may be able to do without a sandbag, but it would add stability to the stand, especially, if on location.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ]