Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ] 

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:12 pm

I've had my AB 800 for several years and just love it. I shoot primary weddings, using the Pocket Wizard to fire. Lately, it doesn't seem to matter what angle I turn the Bee (up, down, away from the altar, toward it, low medium or high power) my lighting is off. The blacks of the tuxedos seem either washed out or pixilated. As I type this, I am wondering if the flashtube needs replaced? Any suggestions are more than welcome. I'm not a newbie to the business, so I'm very puzzled. Thanks!

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Site Admin

That does not sound like a lighting issue. The tubes either fire or they don't. If the highlights are fine, it is not a power output issue either.

What kind of camera do you have? Some cameras have a dynamic range enhancing feature that would boost the levels of shadow areas. Be sure that is off. This can lead to a whashed out/low contrast apearance in the shadow areas. Also, it can lead to severe noise (can look pixelated) in those areas too, as you are effectively increasing ISO to the shadow areas.

Also, some software that processes RAW can default to settings you do not intend to have. I ran into that with Adobe PSE(3?) at one point. Be sure any settings are set to neutral in image editing software.

You can email a photo to us so we can see what is going on. If you do, please leave the EXIF info attatched.

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Technical Support wrote:
That does not sound like a lighting issue. The tubes either fire or they don't. If the highlights are fine, it is not a power output issue either.

What kind of camera do you have? Some cameras have a dynamic range enhancing feature that would boost the levels of shadow areas. Be sure that is off. This can lead to a whashed out/low contrast apearance in the shadow areas. Also, it can lead to severe noise (can look pixelated) in those areas too, as you are effectively increasing ISO to the shadow areas.

Also, some software that processes RAW can default to settings you do not intend to have. I ran into that with Adobe PSE(3?) at one point. Be sure any settings are set to neutral in image editing software.

You can email a photo to us so we can see what is going on. If you do, please leave the EXIF info attatched.

thank you. I used Nikon D80 and D300 equipment, RAW settings. I'll pull out a photo and attach, and check my settings. Coreen

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Site Admin

Look out for auto ISO

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Luap wrote:
Look out for auto ISO

I was thinking the same exact thing! Got burned by that once--switched to Aperture mode once while out and about, camera chose ISO 2000, and kept it when I went back manual in the studio.

Was puzzled by how differently I seemed to need to set up the AB800 than normal for a bit, how much I needed to stop down. Figured it out, check ISO every time I turn the camera on now. Don't trust that it will still be where I left it.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:32 pm

BDP wrote:
Luap wrote:
Look out for auto ISO

I was thinking the same exact thing! Got burned by that once--switched to Aperture mode once while out and about, camera chose ISO 2000, and kept it when I went back manual in the studio.

Was puzzled by how differently I seemed to need to set up the AB800 than normal for a bit, how much I needed to stop down. Figured it out, check ISO every time I turn the camera on now. Don't trust that it will still be where I left it.

I'm thinking I generally keep my ISO at 200 but of course I am now second guessing myself! Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming. Am emailing a photo shortly. Will tag it with the same name as above. Coreen

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:11 pm

mycatnixon wrote:
BDP wrote:
Luap wrote:
Look out for auto ISO

I'm thinking I generally keep my ISO at 200 but of course I am now second guessing myself! Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming. Am emailing a photo shortly. Will tag it with the same name as above. Coreen

Yep--I keep mine at 200, also. It changed out from under me--I didn't change it directly. Depending on your camera, you can disable Auto ISO completely, or set an upper limit on it. I had seldom ever used Aperture Priority mode, almost always on full manual. So when I went to aperture priority, it went off and yanked the ISO. Then when I went back to manual, it held the ISO 2000, did not return to 200. Since I had never touched ISO, I assumed it was and had been where I left it. Check the exif on your problematic shots. And check your menu settings related to auto iso...... This could be the issue.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Amoung others I also use a D300. I have gotten in trouble when going to and from auto white balance. Now I pretty much use the daylight setting with a slight tweek, instead of flash. I would never use auto with AB's. Some photographers always re-set the default settings after each shoot.

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 am

Site Admin

Thanks for the replys from everyone! I believe we have determined it was a camera setting issue.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ]