Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:30 pm

I am a starting out portrait photographer and I'm sick of my one natural light source which only receives morning sun. I am wanting to get an 800 watt strobe and use my reflectors for fill. I am having a hard time understanding the transmitters and receivers. I need one transmitter per light but only one receiver? I want to get equipment that is going to last me if I get more then one light. I have tried to look at info online but can't seem to find an easy to understand tutorial. Thank you so much.

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:12 pm

If you are only using one light and it is nearby (as in a portrait setup) you really don't need a radio transmitter and receiver. You can simply adjust the light from the controls on the back panel and trigger it via a sync cord. Should you decide that you want radio control, you use one receiver on each light and a single transmitter (CCT or Cyber Commander) on the camera that will trigger all the lights. (A Cyber Commander transmitter will also let you adjust and meter the lights.) If you think that at some point you will buy a Cyber Commander, then make sure you buy the compatible receivers that are marked with a "+" sign.

I think you should do some research on lighting concepts and/or take some classes or workshops.

My advice to you once you get a single light is to try it out on a subject from every angle and method that you can think of in the space you have available. Also try modifying it with various reflectors, umbrellas, diffusers, etc. and observe the different effects you can create.

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks Alan! Yes I am really excited to take a lighting course, I just have one more prereq before I can. I've tried reading literature but its hard when you don't have the equipment to play around with so you understand what's going on. Do sync cords come with the packages sold at alien bees or is this something I need to buy elsewhere?

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Site Admin

Alan makes some good points, but i will try to expound on them. All of our lights come with 1 sync cord (so if a package has 4 lights, you will get 4 cords). In most situations, if you can get one light to fire, the rest should also fire. You can trigger the one light by the sync cord or radio remote. If you will be shooting in very bright light, or around other photographers, or in certain "normal" shooting environments, the slave eye can be fooled. In this case, a reciever on each light would help. (the transmitter is on the camera, so only one is needed, the receivers are on the lights)

If you wish to be able to wirelessly adjust the light output by using the CyberCommander, then a reciever for each light is required for full functionality.

Be aware, that not all cameras have an integrated PC connection for the sync cord (usually found on the left edge or left front of the camera under a cap or flap, and looks like a snap. PC connections should not be confused with USB connections, as PC in this sense is not for "personal computer"). If your camera does not have one, you will need a hotshoe adapter (found in the hardware section of our site). Most new DSLR's under $1000 do not have one, and new DSLR's over $1000 tend to have them, but this is not set in stone.

TS

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Thank you! That completely answers my question! Can't wait to start playing with an improved lighting setup.

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:00 pm

Laura

Congratulations and good luck in your endeavor. I would venture to say that the majority of people here started in the same place. Tech Support and Alan G both gave some pretty sound advice. When I started, I used only one light and was amazed how well it turned out. Actually, I started using just my speed light off camera and found that I wanted more. I guess it's true... you can never have enough light.

If you Google one light photography you will find many images that provide excellent examples of that type of photography. When I bought my first Alien Bee, I used only the accompanying sync cord. At 15 ft length, you will be surprised how much room you have to work with and will not even feel tethered to the light. My goal was to replicate what I saw on the internet. Through trial and error, I finally got it.

When your ready, expand with additional lights. Remember what Tech Support said, you can utilize the built in slaves of the additional lights to be tripped by the main light with the sync cord. Then, when you bring in wireless triggers, a whole new world opens up.

You won't be disappointed. You maybe confused at times, but photography is not magic... there really are no secrets. Just ask.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]