Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm looking to buy my first softbox after using umbrellas for a while. I want to start with one, but honestly I'm all over the board on which one. I've seen great results from the octaboxes, but I have had people caution me on being able to control light better with the medium softbox.

I do want to be capable of lighting a full length shot with it as the main. What is the smallest softbox that can accomplish that? Not saying I'll get the smallest, but want to know the range.

Thanks!

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:33 am

In this case size does matter... Bigger is better, now the question you have to think about is cost,,, and light control. The foldable boxes with grids give you a lot of spill control, if you can afford the large foldable box with the grids then the question is answered. When I purchased my large box, the foldable with grids were not available. If they were, that's the way I would have gone.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 am

I went with the folding 35inch octo. Trust me, when you are out in the middle of no where shooting, the last thing you wanna do is assemble a softbox. I love the PCB folding octo and always leave one in my trunk. I recently used mine while shooting in the wheat fields. This 35inch octo is mounted to an AB 800 on a lightstand strapped to a magna cart dolly and a vagabond strapped at the base for support
a police officer came by and kept trying to give me suggestions
final result :)

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks for the help!

I'm more than likely going to get a couple of sizes, but it will be over the course of time. One of the octaboxes is definitely on my radar as is the medium softbox. Just wondering what to start with. I tend to do more head shots and 3/4 length but also do some full length.

Steve

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]