Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ] 

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:38 pm

Subject has my question.

Does anyone know of an adapter made that allows the Elinchrom Rotalux Octa to be used on PCB monolights? (I am assuming the Einstein will use the same adapter as the current PCB lights)

Thanks
Russell

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Site Admin

Not that I'm aware of. Yes, Einstein uses and improved version of the AB/WL connector.

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:39 pm

thanks Paul.

test test test.... We want your Einsteins now!

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:42 pm

Site Admin

do you know the outer diameter of the Rota speedring (where the rods would go)?

TS

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:49 pm

unfortuately no I do not.

I am just in the process of purchasing my lighting setup and I have read a lot of great things about the Elinchrom Octa bank. So as part of my due diligence, I am just trying to figure out if I could use one of those with the Einsteins I plan to buy.

I did find a company called "Kacey Enterprises" that appears to make an adapter that allows the Alien Bee to use the Elinchrom Beauty Dish.

Thanks
Russell

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Site Admin

it has been my experience that while the speed ring is not necessarily adaptable, most speedrings from quality suppliers have the the same diameter. It is possible our speedring would fit the softbox, though it may not. Alternatively, Chimera may make one that would work.

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Just to close on this, I had a few email exchanges with Kacey Enterprises and his company does make adapters to allow PCB lights to use Elinchrom Modifiers. This is great, as that means I get the best of both worlds.

Thanks
Russell

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:02 pm

Here is a link to a site with an adaptor that permits attaching Elinchrom modifiers to AB lights.

http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:00 pm

Have you guys ever thought about making a line of speed ring adapters that would fit different brands of modifiers to your lights, and then selling them through your website?

There are so many speed rings on B&H's website, and they're all virtually identical. I can't tell what the difference is between the Mola adapter for AB/WL (BH part #MOSRB) and the Photoflex adapter for AB/WL (BH part #PHSRB), other than the Mola is $24 more expensive.

Are there legal hurdles to making these (liability, patents, etc.)? Or is it just not economically viable?

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Site Admin

A speed ring for a softbox is different than the adapter for a Mola. The image for the Mola adapter appears to be incorrect. It appears to be just a speedring. If you look at adapters for other brands, it becomes fairly clear that it is wrong, and also shows how they work. I cannot answer about the adapters for other brands, other than our speedrings do seem interchange with many, if not most, quality softboxes. Additionally, so many companies make so many modifiers, with so many interfaces for the adapters, it would not be in our interest to accomodate all of them.

TS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ]