Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ] 

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:54 am

I'm still waiting for my cyber commander to be shipped due to back-ordered. In the meantime, I've connected the CSR+s' to my two WL X1600's. The problem is they keep flashing randomly without being triggered.

I figured this out the hard way. It only does this when both lights are on 1/2 power (blue button undepressed). They are fine if either one or two lights are depressed to full power. Any idea why it does this?

ps, these are plugged into a surge protector power strip.

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:00 am

Site Admin

First, unplug them from the surge protector and see if the problem persists. Also, are you using the telephne style cord with the + receivers, or the headphone style cord?

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Now with the cyber commander arrived, the configuration has changed, but the result is similar. I've plugged in the RJ-11, and also the headphone chord as a dummy for disabling the slave trigger. From the cyber commander, Menu->Light Settings->Model Mode: It flickers randomly when it's in either ADJ or Track Mode. The "Full" mode, however is fine.

I've tried unplug them from the surge protector - same result, and this time the buttons are depressed to the full mode as instructed from the CyberCommand guide.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Site Admin

try one unit at a time, and see if both exhibit the same behavior. Plugging in the sync cord is supposed to lock out the slave eye, but occasionally, a sync jack can go bad and not lock out. Additionally, does the same behavior appear when the remotes are nto used? Try a different frequency and see if the problem goes away. Also, be sure each receiver is set to a unique channel, common frequency.

TS

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 am

This issue existed even before the CSR+ was in place.

Strangely, it only does this randomly - as of now it is fine even though I havent changed anything around.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Site Admin

have you changed circuits or bulidings where they were plugged in? have you used, or are using now, a surge protector? A lot of random firing can happen from faulty grounding. If it happens again, Try a different frequency on the remotes, as well turn each light off while keeping the other on to see if the problem persists.

TS

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:34 am

I set this up in my home, it's fairly new house - about 5 years old. I connect 3 strobes to the same surge protected power strip. 2 X1600's and one AB400. I only experience this flash flickering issue on both WLs, but not on the AB400. The AB400 is about 3 weeks new, and the X1600s are about 4.5 years old, that have been in the protective storage for about 4 years.

I've tried switching to different frequency, it still happens randomly. At one time it kept flickering until it stopped working when I couldnt power it off on time. I thought the unit was hosed, then I pushed the black Reset button to get it working again, then of course that didnt stop the flickering.

It gets really frustrating, at times I thought about returning 3 CSR+, CC and just use the old fashion method, then there was hope - the flickering stopped.

I'll give myself another week or so to see if it's really worth it.

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:10 am

Site Admin

Because of the peak draw when firing, the surge protector can make your lights go wonky, and not necessarily all of them. Again, if it continues, try going straight into the wall or a basic multi tap, without a surge protector.

TS

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:38 pm

There is some light. At the time, my daughter was nearby, had her wireless headphone on, also the cordless phone was in the same room. Those things are moved away, no flickering issue so far. I guess the 2.4Ghz Cybersyncs might have conflicts with those devices.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ]