Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 18 posts ] 

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:11 pm

I'd like to get some portable power for my set of 4 alien bees. However, I'd prefer to get a smaller individual power pack for EACH separate monolight rather than have to tether all 4 lights to the same power source. Each light stand would be more mobile that way. Does PCBuff offer anything like that? Or is there any after market sources for something compatible?

Also, is there any chance that the cyber sync wireless units by PCBuff are compatible with the signals and channels available on Pocket Wizards ... of which I already have two units?

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Site Admin

The only battery option we offer is the Vagabond II. The only comparable device that would work with our lights is the Innovatronix unit(s). These are atleast as big/heavy if not more so, and the same price range (plus international shipping and service). OUr VII inverters can be used with other batteries, but you will need a minimum of 11aH to prevent damage to the inverter, thus not saving a great deal of weight.

CyberSync and Pocket Wizards are not inter-compatabile, as they use vastly different frequencies, along with the fact CyberSync has special encoding to prevent interference. (example: Skyports have the same transiver, uses the same frequency, but is still not intercompatabile due to the encoding) You can however use the PW's and CS together by either piggy backing, relaying, or parralleling them.

TS

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any chance PCBuff will attempt to manufacture a lightweight portable power unit to simply power ONE monolight on a stand so that unit can be independent of a shared power supply? If I could have 3 independent lights that I could move anywhere ... especially in a large room or venue ... it would be so much more convenient than having to make sure I had enough extension cords to make sure all 3 lights could reach the single power supply.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:01 am

Site Admin

as of now, there are no such plans. However, if you compare to most dedicated power supplies for other lights, the VII is quite cost and performance competitive, albeit larger and heavier than some.

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:08 pm

Everyone has different work methods and desires, but I work on location most of the time myself. Right now I use two V-1 and a V-2 unit, each on a separate lightstand.

I find that the current ~20 pound weight to be ideal in actual use as necessary ballast when strapped to the bottom of a light stand. I find this very important with light stands set up far from where I'm standing where they might be bumped by passers buy. Yes, they are more of a hassle to transport, but the weight turns out to be a good thing.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Technical Support wrote:
as of now, there are no such plans. However, if you compare to most dedicated power supplies for other lights, the VII is quite cost and performance competitive, albeit larger and heavier than some.

TS

Oh yeah, as a one source of power, it's a great price for powering up to 6 monolights. It would just be nice to get some smaller units for the portability. If I have to buy 3 vagabonds, then there goes the savings. But if I could get some $125 units for a single light, that would be a nice option.

Thanks for the replies all.

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:14 pm

mactographer wrote:
But if I could get some $125 units for a single light, that would be a nice option.

Given that a decent sine wave inverter costs $90-100 by itself, I think you'd have to live in a different world to get that ;-)

Over on the Fred Miranda forums, some folks did build some DIY versions of exactly what you want, but the cost is roughly $200 in parts...

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Technical Support wrote:
... OUr VII inverters can be used with other batteries, but you will need a minimum of 11aH to prevent damage to the inverter, thus not saving a great deal of weight.
TS

Now that's an interesting tidbit! May I ask why a battery of less than 11ah would damage the inverter? I thought inverters only cared about voltage on the input side, not capacity.

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Site Admin

You are correct, it will not damage the inverter, the damage would happen to the battery. This was also corrected in another forum. I appologize for any confusion.

TS

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:34 am

I shoot outdoors and sometimes hike up to a half a mile through deep snow to get to my location. I have x5 WL X3200, and each has it's own battery pack. I put the lights at least 100 feet apart to get max spread from the lights so extension cords just aren't feasible. I've been using the original Vagabond I, which I typically buy for $100 with very careful and patient shopping. Since I don't need very many pops from the battery, I have replaced them with 12-14 aH batteries as the old ones expire. This lightens the pack up considerably. The battery pack is my main weight to keep the lightstands from blowing over, although sometimes I will add chunks of railroad ties or big rocks when wind is >40 mph. There is nothing out there that will touch the price of a used Vagabond I. For the price & weight, there is nothing out there that will remotely come close to a Vagabond II, and it has twice the watts of the older packs I am using. The biggest downside to the Vagabond I is since it only has 150w output, it takes awhile for my X3200 to recycle. Especially when it's 30 below zero. I haul the lighting gear out through the snow on a plastic sled.

Kent in SD

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 18 posts ]