Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:46 pm

I have just gotten My ring light back for it's refit I Think where they take my beta ring light with the old metal post and none reset power cable and update it to the new and improved ring. Great light and It works great. Much better mount system and over all a great upgrade. I was just wondering if any one found what I did about the new vertical adjustment. That if you do not have a camera mounted in the system and you release the vertical adjuster and do not hold on to the light it can slide down and off of the down rod and that there is no stop at the top to prevent it from falling free. If you did do you have any Ideas on how to prevent this from happening with out too much modification. I was thinking of drrill a small hole and inserting a small 3/16 bolt and nut acroos the top to prevent it from droping free.

Top Top

#

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:52 pm

I have considered this the only design flaw on the ABR for sure. that dumb little lever should be reversed, so that downward force *tightens* the connection, not causes the light to dive to its death. I have dropped mine no less that 4 times because of that dumb lever. I have gone as far as to tether the light there. Just flip over the notch on that locking lever and it would be much better.

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:15 am

This subject came up a month or so ago. I drilled mine, and secure it with a cotter pin as a safety device when there isn't a lens or umbrella shaft present to block the ABR from taking a gravity dive to the floor if the locking lever slips. Here is the post describing the mod and why I did it. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=151#p908

Voyager

Top Top

#

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks to both of you and I agree it is the only flaw I see so far

Kevin

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]