Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:25 pm

I recently got the Ultra 1800 and was wondering if a smaller modeling bulb could be used in conjuction with a beauty dish. I don't use the bulb very often, but having to take it off each time gets to be annoying (The light blocker won't extend out over it.) Also, seeing as the boom arm attachment on the site is retired, is there anything from another company recommended for the weight from an ultra 1800 on one of your 13 foot heavy duty stands? I tend to avoid softboxes and stick to dishes and umbrellas.

Top Top

#

Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Site Admin

The model lamp is a standard edison base bulb. Anything that uses that base (and is not CFL) and under 250W should be fine. Any boom comparable to ours should be fine. Make sure it clamps to the stand and does not sit atop the 5/8 stud. I believe Westcott has one (B&H) and Interfit and Savage have some that should also work (Adorama).

TS

Top Top

#

Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:26 pm

Technical Support wrote:
Make sure it clamps to the stand and does not sit atop the 5/8 stud.

So....you would not recommend a boom arm that used a clamp such as this...which clamps to the stud?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... Clamp.html

Is the stud a weak point...if so, why has Manfrotto (and probably others) designed it this way? The clamp does seem easier to adjust than the ones which clamp the stand.

John

Last edited by jrsforums on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:46 am

Site Admin

Our studs are designed to hold lights with a modifier. If you add to that the weight of the counterweight, and the tourqe applied from the boom, yes, it can break the stud. Manfrotto has likely designed thier stands specifically to support that boom.

TS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]